Monday, August 3, 2009

~What did I let them talk me into????~

So I think that something must be in the water. Everyone is getting a dog. From the Mckay family, to Trichelle, to Kari, it seems that everyone is adding to their families. Well we just did too. I'd like you to meet Marley, Our Yellow Lab. :)The kids have been asking for a dog for about a year now, and Dave and I have gone back and forth on whether to get one or not. I mean getting a dog is a lot of responsibility and we just didn't know if we were ready for it or not. After all, we still have a little baby.

Well Saturday, Dave got up early to head over to Sportsmans to check out their fishing report for our camping trip this coming weekend. As he got to Sportsmans he noticed someone selling lab puppies right outside. He went over to check them out, not thinking about getting one (at least that is what he's told me :) He saw them, and thought the kids would love to come look at the puppies, so when he got home he asked the kids if they wanted to go. They did, but I insisted that he better not get their hopes up because there was no way I was getting a big dog. If we were going to get a dog it was going to be a little thing.

Well, the kids went just to look, but immediately fell in love. Even Lexi loved the dogs. They came home to get me to take me back to pick one out. I kept trying to talk the kids into continueing to look around so we could find a small dog like a Yorkie or Shitzu, but they insisted that these were the dogs they wanted. After a lot of persuasion, they finally talked me into getting one. So we went back and made it official. WHAT WAS I THINKING???

No seriously, Marley has been a pretty good puppy. He yelps when he needs to go to the bathroom (so we know when to take him outside), he lets Lexi maul him to death and he just sits there, and he sleeps a lot (but I know he is still is a puppy and that won't last). My biggest complaint is that it is ME getting up with him at night to let him go outside. I'm not even the one who wanted to get him and it is ME getting up 3 times a night to let him out. Can you tell that I love that?:) But in all fairness, the kids have been GREAT with him. I have not had to clean up poop once (Hunter's job is to shovel it up after he has gone), during the day the kids totally take care of him. They let him out to go to the bathroom, play with him, make sure he is comfortable etc (if only I could get them to do this at night, lol). But the kids all adore him, and it is fun to watch them take care of him, so I know that my sleepless nights have been worth it, well maybe :)


So I don't know how to take this, but Lexi has only said "Dada" for quite a while now and for the life of me I can't get her to say "Mama". Well she says "doggie" (or that is what it sounds like to us, and she only says it when she is looking for Marley) What is up with that?
Hunter was soooo disappointed that we wouldn't let Marley sleep with him. Well, he was up at like 6:00 the next morning to be with him. When I came out into the room at about 8:00, this is what I found. Hunter sleeping in his bed, while he slept on the floor. He's to funny!
So I totally don't know anything about training a puppy, so any advise would be greatly appreciated.

3 comments:

Trichelle said...

oh she is so cute. I feel your pain, it hasn't been that long since you were getting up with lexi i'm sure so this dog thing just is NO fun at all. Ours is now outside and can I just say what a relief that is for me!! I'm not an animal person at all, but having a dog is pretty fun. I at lease enjoy watching the kids play with her:) Good luck, we need help training too. I think we're going to check into IdleWire. That's were everyone keeps telling me. I'll let you know.

Starley Family said...

So now we have Marley and Charlie? Awesome!!! Umm...I wouldn't be surprised if I hear Marc getting a dog and then I won't have any more fight left in me...Well I do have to admit Marley is pretty cute!

Dawn said...

well she is a cute dog. I think it is good for kids to have a pet while they are little so they don't grow up afraid (like my kids) I wouldn't let them have a dog because I didn't want to take care of it. I think if I could go back, I'd just get one even if I was the one to take care of it. You did the right thing!