Thursday, November 19, 2009

~I just wanted my hair to be like Shark Boy~


Mckell has had beautiful, thick hair since she was little. We are always getting compliments on how pretty and long her hair is. Many of you will remember years ago (Mckell was not quite 2), Dave was home watching the kids and Hunter ended up cutting all of Mckell's beautiful hair off.


Before Hunter cut her hair. You could pull it up in pony tails and it had a natural curl to it. I thought she always looked so cute.



After Hunter cut her hair.

I was devastated!!! Hunter said that he just wanted her hair to look like his (which is a cute gesture years later). I was so upset that Dave and I boxed up all of their toys and they weren't allowed to play with any of them for like a month. We stuck to that punishment too. You might think that we were a little hard on Mckell, because after all it was Hunter who did the cutting, but she was in trouble too, because she shouldn't have let him cut her hair :)

Well, I thought the kids learned their lesson back then, I mean after all, it still gets mentioned every once in a while, but I guess I was wrong.

The other day I was getting Mckell ready for preschool and as I was brushing her hair, I was noticing that chunks of hair were coming out in the brush. I was a little alarmed, but thought maybe I was brushing to hard? Then as I was pulling her hair up into a pony tail, I noticed that I could tug on a piece of hair and a chunk would come out. By this time I was very alarmed. Mckell has been complaining for the last week or so that her tummy hurts. I haven't paid much attention to it because it only hurts when she is in trouble, or it is time for bed, or time for her to do her chores :) But when hair started falling out I thought of the worst. That maybe she had cancer or some disease or something that was making her stomache hurt and now her hair fall out (leave it to mom's to over react). Well, as we got talking, it came out that Mckell had cut her hair because she wanted to look like Shark Boy. What???

Just in case you don't know who shark boy is. He is the one with spikey hair. I really don't know what she was thinking!!! Why would she want to look like a boy? She has the most beautiful hair! Now maybe I'm over reacting because looking at her you probably wouldn't notice that her hair had even been cut. She just took pieces here and there, and since her hair is so long and thick, it covers up the pieces that she whacked. But I notice it whenever I pull her hair up. On top she has several spikey pieces that I have to glop down with gel. So needless to say she is grounded. No cartoons, friends, or movies for a week. The punishment was worse last time, but to be honest, this time I was just grateful that she had cut it and that the reason it was falling out wasn't because she had cancer or some disease :)

I sure hope this is the last time we have to deal with this problem!!!

5 comments:

Dawn said...

oh what fun little kids are. At least she was honest. She should be rewarded for that. ;)

Paige M. said...

Oh, no. I remeber hearing about the original tragedy with Hunter cutting it, but, I would never guess that Kell would cut her own hair! She always tells me how much she loves it. She is still a total cutie though!

Natalie said...

Oh man, I think all little kids go through that. She has such gorgeous hair. Hopefully that is the last time for her...my niece has done it at least 5 times!

The Ballard's said...

So So So funny. I love it. I know exactly how you feel. Gracie cut hers and I tought I would smash her little self. My only saving grace (ha ha & hers) was that we had just gotten back from the 3rd family wedding in a week. Can you really blame her? Shark boy has COOL hair.

~Angie~ said...

When I first started reading this I was thinking, 'she must be confused, and really mean lava girl' I was expecting to read about her trying to turn her beautiful hair pink!'.. I'm sorry, but I laughed out loud.. I know it won't be so funny when/ if my little girl does it & I'll probably have to come running to you begging you not to laugh!