Friday, January 30, 2009

Fire! Fire! Fire!

Mckell had a preschool field trip today at the Fire Station. It is really fun to see how your kids actually act in a classroom setting. I have loved seeing this with Hunter when I go help in his class every week, and I loved seeing it today with Mckell. It really made me realize how different Hunter and Mckell are. For example, today the kids watched a Rescue Rangers video about Fire Safety. After the video the fireman asked for a volunteer to show him what to do if you are on fire. Mckell's hand was the first one up (actually I think it was the only one up, she is definetly not afraid to volunteer, which is totally opposite Hunter :) When she went up I thought forsure that she would need help knowing what to do, but to my surprise she didn't. She got up front and said STOP, DROP, and ROLL and she dropped to the floor rolling around, she even covered her face like she was supposed to, and she didn't need any help telling her what to do. I hate to say that I was surprised. I guess I don't give her enough credit. What a Smart Little Cutie!

Then with every other question the fireman asked, Mckells hand was up. The fireman finally had to say, "Let's give someone else a turn to help sweetie" Which there again totally not like Hunter. You would have to ask him directly for him to answer a question in front of a group. :) Then when the fireman told the kids they could have a chance trying on a fireman coat and hat, who do you think ran ( I do mean ran) to the front of the line? Mckell. She did this throughout the entire tour of the fire station, and then when it was time for a group picture she posed for the camera. I mean hand on hip with shoulder forward pose. She cracks me up!

I love being able to share in these experiences with my kids. That is one of the perks of being a stay at home mom.




While we were there, the firemen got a call about a fire and had to leave. It was cool to see them all quickly dress up, get in the fire truck, and drive away with the sirens blaring. The kids all stood against the wall and waved good-bye to the fire truck. When we got home, Mckell told Hunter that the firemen had to go "save the day". Kids say the darndest things!

2 comments:

paige m. said...

Oh, cute little McKell! She cracks me up.

Starley Family said...

What fun! Well I guess if I panic in a fire and McKell's around I will look to her to take the lead! I love that she's so friendly!