Tuesday, June 19, 2012

~Grandpa to the Rescue~

Mckell, Lexi, and I decided to go buy some flowers to plant in the front flowerbeds.  As we were planting, Mckell let out a giant scream and started running away from the flowers.  I asked her if she saw a spider or something and she told me that their was a snake back behind the bush.  Honestly, I didn't believe her because in the 10 years that we've lived in this house I have NEVER seen a snake.  She kept insisting that their was a big snake, so I went to check it out.  Sure enough we had a snake.
Being that I don't know my snakes, I wasn't sure what kind of snake it was.  I thought it looked like a rattlesnake, but I honestly really don't know what a rattlesnake looks like other than it has a rattle on it's tail.  We stopped planting and went inside.  Dave and Hunter were out of town so they were not there to catch the snake for me, so I figured I'd have to wait to finish planting my flowers when they got home.  But the more I thought about it, I really didn't want this snake moving somewhere else in my yard.  I knew where it was, so I knew where to avoid.  If it moved I would have been afraid to even leave my house for fear that I might get too close to the snake.  So I called my dad to come and help me get rid of the snake.  Well, let me refraise, to come and get rid of the snake for me, lol.
My dad informed me that this was not a rattler, but a blow snake.  It was king of funny to watch my dad, in a suit, chasing a snake around my yard.  My dad, growing up of a farm, did what any farmer would do with a snake.  He beheaded it.  The girls thought it was cool to see the snake still slither around even though it was dead.  They eventually got brave and picked up the snake.  Mckell wanted to show the entire neighborhood what she had, and she couldn't wait until Hunter came home to tell him about our snake experience.  I'm grateful for a dad who will drop what he is doing to come and help us when we need it.  He's the best!

No comments: